Quickly maturing startup seeking like minded Operations Engineer! PacketFabric has created the easiest platform for networks to connect and exchange traffic, regardless of location. The technical team is a small, talented, and close knit group and we need some accounting help to make business operations flow smoothly.
As a well rounded Operations Engineer, you should definitely be the type that appreciates diversity in your day, and challenges outside of your comfort level! You will be organizing logistics for rapid domestic and international infrastructure deployments so you must come armed with well developed problem solving skills, be willing to take risks, and prepared to improve process on the fly.
A typical day in the life of a PacketFabric Operations Engineer might include these types of activities:
- Writing installation, upgrade, and migration plans. Writing MOP documents.
- Writing instructions for contractors and data center employees.
- Flying out to sites to perform or supervise installations and maintenances.
- Writing materials lists for our vendors to ship parts for upgrades, moves, adds, and changes.
- Ordering and coordinating the installation of cross-connects with large data center operators.
- Shipping parts from our warehouse.
- Staging equipment for deployment by applying configurations and OS upgrades to networking equipment and servers prior to field deployment.
- Taking confused phone calls from techs in the field.
- Auditing and documenting equipment deployed across our global network or in our warehouse.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for emergency hardware replacements.
- And of course, since this is a start-up, we aren’t just asking you to wear one hat. When you get a break, you can assist any of our other teams!
Skills & Requirements
The right candidates will most likely have a strong background working in large scale telecommunications environments, with a proven track record of completing projects on time in spite of obstacles.
Specific requirements include:
- Many years of experience racking and cabling networking switching, routing and optical hardware.
- Understanding of server and network hardware (can identify or quickly learn to identify types of equipment and their role within a network).
- Experience with troubleshooting optical fiber circuits.
- Experience dealing with field technicians.
- Travel 50%.
About PacketFabric, LLC.
What PacketFabric doesn't offer:
- A dress code - so sorry, no casual Fridays.
- Pre-meetings where we plan meetings.
- Hours wasted in traffic commuting to the office.
- Dull moments.
- Rigid and defined job structure.
What PacketFabric does offer:
- An opportunity to create in the space of new technologies like SDN and large data sets.
- Flexibility to play the different hats in a start up.
- The change to disrupt entrenched Internet infrastructure.
- Interaction and involvement with the community groups such as Open-IX, Nanog, and RIPE.
- New and interesting problems around automation of fundamental Internet infrastructure.
- A team that likes to learn from each other.
- A continuous develop environment where we are always turning out new features.
- The ability to work with many different technologies.
- The ability to work with lots of open source technology.
- A non-corporate and relaxed atmosphere, with small company culture.
- VERY good health, dental, and 401K.